Part 3 - Helpful Information and Links
1. Want to take a look and see how your current dog food compares nutritionally to others? Take a peek at this link: http://www.1800petmeds.com/pet_food_compare.jsp
2. www.feedingfidoandfluffy.com-review Why feeding the dog food, Beneful, is bad for dogs.
3. Free bag of dog food from www.canidae.com
4. Why there are so many pet food recalls? http://www.zimbio.com/Latest+pet+food+recall+list/articles/J4lrsmT1Pqh/Recent+Slew+Pet+Food+Recalls6. From popular veterinarian, UC Berkeley/Davis, Donald Strombeck This site is for owners who choose to feed diets they can prepare for normal pets and for those with medical problems. Remember, the dog’s diet determines health and life expectancy. We use Sojos food (www.sojos.com).
5. From Dr. Strombeck - http://www.thebark.com/content/home-prepared-dog-and-cat-diets-book-available-free http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm8. http://bluebuffalo.com/compare-dog-food/?gclid=CLCR-cP2vbICFYhxQgodkyAAIw (Receive a $5 coupon off of Blue Buffalo dog food after comparing your dog food.)
6. http://www.iceforpets.com/ ICE application for Pets is a simple, easy and inexpensive way to protect your pets. The ICE for Pets mobile app provides pet owners and sitters the ability to manage important information about your pet and alert an emergency contact to care for their pets if they can’t. (ICE stands for “in case of emergency”)
7. LINKEDIN - www.linkedin.com – forums to join depending on your dog breed. Great way to get valued information and advice from fellow members.
8 (Website to learn how to “Housetrain your dog and How to Trim Dogs Nails” http://smilingdogbakery.com/blog/2012/06/how-trim-dog-nails/?goback=%2Egde_77136_member_127332594
9 DOG FOOD RECALL! - http://dogingtonpost.com/truth-about-dog-food-recalls/a. California - Avoderm Lamb - http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=161134
b. Boots & Barkley Bully Sticks – Sold by Target - http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2012/boots-barkley-american-beef-bully-sticks-dog-treats-recalled-for-salmonella/
10. DID YOU KNOW ! …… You might not know this, but it’s true!
a. Arsenic is given to a Chicken’s last meal and it goes up the food chain; to humans and to dog food manufacturer’s . Only 1 chicken manufacturer does not give Arsenic to Chicken. FOSTER FARMS (because they are based in California) To avoid having arsenic going up to our dog and human food chain, it’s advisable not to purchase grocery store house brand or Tyson Foods (based in Arkansas) chicken. Click on the link or just enter ‘chicken, arsenic ‘to read further information. http://www.naturalnews.com/035960_arsenic_chicken_Pfizer.html
b. This is what By-Products are when you read the list of ingredients on the back of dog kibble food.: These are the parts of the animal left over after the meat has been stripped away from the bone. "Chicken by-products include head, feet, entrails, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, liver, stomach, bones, blood, intestines, and any other part of the carcass not fit for human consumption," writes Henry Pasternak in Healing Animals with Nature's Cures.
c. Purina (all brands) have ANIMAL DIGEST included in the food. Animal Digest includes: road kill, diseased animals, animals euthanized at shelters, etc. I was awed when I researched this "ingredient". Purina described it as an extra "flavor" to the food to take away a "bitter" taste. Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/012647_pet_food_dog.html#ixzz2IjPmqfi1
e. (Linkedin.com comments about all types of dog food, not just Beneful.). THIS IS A “MUST “ READ IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE HEALTH SAFETY OF YOUR DOG. http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Purinas-Beneful-dog-food-killing-89012.S.205184728?qid=93cab3bb-01c3-456f-b190-5a6d11afdc5f&trk=group_most_popular-0-b-ttl&goback=%2Egmp_89012
11. The BARk Magazine – www.thebark.com. Free Dog Magazine15. http://www.thebark.com/content/quick-mix-and-match-meals (from Dr. Deva K Khalsa) An advocate of an integrative approach to natural health and healing for dogs. This is her formula for easy, mix and match holistic meals.
12. www.bennettvet.com Mobile Veterinarian Who Performs House Calls. Dr. Bennett’s Vet House Call Service: 510-758-7921; Territory Of Service - East Bay Area. Territory is centered in the Walnut Creek, Concord and Berkeley corridor which include towns like Orinda and Lafayette, traveling out in a radius of twenty miles from Walnut Creek. This includes towns like Hercules,
El Sobrante and Vallejo in West Contra Costa County extending to Pittsburg in Eastern Contra Costa County. We cover the north
western part of Alameda County which includes Oakland all the way to El Cerrito and Albany.
13. Enroll your Golden Retriever in this free study)- http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-breaking-news/2012/09/26/golden-retriever-study-opens-for-enrollment.aspx
14. Read why we should NOT be feeding our dogs a corn-grain based diet. Dogs are carnivorous. Have you ever seen a dog naturally eating corn or grain on their own? This was a life changing book for me. Once I understood what type of food was in dog food, I changed to holistic. “Food Pets Die For, by Anne Martin. Also check out Dr. Pitcairn’s “Natural Health for Dogs & Cats”.
15. Treats – try to stay away from yeast and wheat based items. No raw-hide or pork-hide products. Too many unnatural chemicals and this item is hard on the dog’s stomach. Try not to purchase bin treats (found at Petco in El Cerrito); you don’t know what’s inside the ingredients. Instead, give sliced baked sweet potatoes, apple slices (seeds removed), steamed or raw carrots/ broccoli, cantaloupe, watermelon (seeds removed). In order words, anytime you go to a pet food store and see, on the front of the package, names of human food produce, that means you can give your dog the same thing. Remember the dog’s food diet is the key to canine longevity and health problems.
16. Nutrition Support Services - The UC Davis Vet School - Nutrition Support Service provides nutritional recommendations and feeding plans to consult with your vet. http://nutrition.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/index.cfm21. http://www.bestflea.us Am online retailer of Flea Treatments for pets, Including Frontline, Advantage And Advantix. Out products are mainly UK sourced and are identical to the US main brands (100% from the same manufacturers.). Our prices are very competitive - probably the best available.
17. “Barkers Grub” Book by Rudy Edalati. This is an important book for every dog owner if you are interested in providing high quality home-made food for your pet. To maintain a pet's nutritional health and proper weight, avoid grains such as soy and corn. Recent research shows soy is a thyroid suppressant, and corn is hard for many pets' digestive systems to break down, or they're allergic to it. Comparing regular commercial dog food is like to eating at McDonald's every day Food is cooked at high levels of heat, which remove nutritional value, and then manufacturers lace them with synthetic vitamins and minerals. The benefit of feeding dogs whole foods, without preservatives or artificial ingredients, is that "eating healthier reduces their long-term health-care needs.
18. How to Make a Natural Flea Collar Buy a cheap cloth collar (Wal-Mart has them for $1.99; Dollar or .99 store has them for $1) Use the following 1/2 teaspoon Alcohol1 drop of each of the following essential oilsCedar wood, lavender, citronella, thymeMix with 4 garlic capsulesSoak the collar in this until saturated. Let dry before putting on your dog. These collars should last about a month. You can use the same collar when needing to re-soak. Also, using a spray bottle mix water with 4 drops eucalyptus or lemongrass oil & spray bedding 2x a day. Both these will repel fleas but I don't think they will kill fleas.
19. Avon Skin-So-Soft is a great non-ingested Flea/Tick Alternative. Just mix with water, (half/half) and spray once per week. Don’t forget to take your dog outside first before applying because if your dog has fleas/ticks, you might see them jumping off your dog. Let me know if you need help finding an Avon dealer.
20 .http://www.k9ballistics.com Got a pet that likes to chew up his/her bedding? Check out this website. Their dog bedding is made of military grade fabric.
21. 53 Dog Parks in our East Bay Area http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=dog+parks&find_loc=east+bay%2C+ca&ns=1&ls=b2749bae348fcd92
22. Read your dog food label that is on listed on your dog food bag. Don't buy anything that has meat-by-products (this is dead or rendered animal parts that have been cooked at high heat to remove pathogens, grain or chicken, since chicken growers, other than Foster Farms (based out of CA) are giving arsenic to the chicken’s last meal. Foster Farms is good chicken. http://www.naturalnews.com/012647.html. So do not give Tyson (based in Arkansas/Texas) or non-organic chicken. Chicken parts that have been given arsenic is processed and goes up the food chain to be used in dog or human food.
23. www.nzymes.com (great website to order natural supplements) I have a client that uses their “Antioxidant for Treats” and Oxygen drops for her dog’s eye stains, unknown itching and diet supplementation. They also have a purchase program, if you buy one item, you get another product free. Phone number is 877-816-6500. Company is also known as www.biopet.com. (Also has products for people too!)
24. Dog food and /treats has yeast and wheat in it which causes problems.
25. Compare your dog food and receive a $5 coupon from Blue Buffalo. http://bluebuffalo.com/compare-dog-food/?gclid=CLCR-cP2vbICFYhxQgodkyAAIw
26. www.dodgerslist.com - Best website to learn about how dogs, any dogs, can get back problems and how to help those dogs regain mobility. Dog ramps are the way to go!! Steps and those doggie stairs really aren't good for our dogs' backs, no matter what the size of your dog is, big or small. (BTW – Hound Hotel only has ramps for dogs to enter or exit the house.)
Here is info from Colorado Canine Orthopedics, why going UP stairs, steps, or jumping up on furniture is harmful: "Each time a dog jumps up on the bed, jumps for the ball, or jumps into the back of the SUV, no matter how little or big the dog is, the spine is flexed and then acutely extended, putting increased forces at the low cervical, mid-thoracic, and especially low...er lumbar spine. These recurring stresses can result in chronic fatigue and microscopic damage to the IVD (intervertebral disc)." Ramps can be purchased or even made if you are handy with a few tools. Just google dog ramps or "How To Make A Dog Ramp" Here's a good explanation that G wrote: "Consider your doxie has 2 inches of leg from chest to floor. If a step is 4 inches high, that is 2 times higher than your doxie's legs. Compare that to your own legs. How would you feel hopping up and down 5-foot-high steps several times a day? A bed is about 4 times the height of a doxie. For you, that would be like jumping off the roof a one-story house 3-4 times a day. There is a lot of impact on a dachshund's body with each step of the staircase or jumping off of furniture."
27. FREE bag of Dog Food Through www.canidae.comhttp://www.canidae.com/offers/index-one.html?zipcode=94706&gclid=CICSlNjww7UCFQLhQgodK1sA6g
28. Royal Canin has a 15% off coupon; http://www.doggiefood.com/
29. www.petflow.com $10 off plus free shipping.
30. Don’t forget to check for your local dog breed community groups in www.meet.up and www.yahoogroups.com, www.linkedin.com Great place to meet fellow peers. Either enter your dogs breed or scroll through the various dog groups, (enter the word “dog”)
31. $12.99 coupon/rebate for Hills Science Diet (Ideal Balance) Dog Food. http://www.hillspet.com/pdf/en-us/IB_rebate.pdf
32. How must does it cost to feed your dog on a daily basis? Check out this website…. If you don’t use Canidae, you can probably just enter the cost of your bag of other dog food. http://www.canidae.com/cost-to-feed-canidae/index.html
34. Dog Scooting Around on the floor? Here’s a Pumpkin Treat recipe to help empty full anal glands. This could even be given once per week to help with their anal gland maintenance. 1 can solid packed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 cups oatmeal 1/4 cup molasses 1 egg 1 tsp. cinnamon Mix all ingredients together and drop by spoonful on cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool before serving. Best if left to sit overnight as the treats will get stiffer. Keep remaining treats in refrigerator
35. Stop giving your dogs crap from China that is killing our dogs!! Here is a Pumpkin Recipe that is healthy for them :) Cleo’s Pumpkin Dog Biscuits.. Preheat oven to 350
2 eggs1/2 c...up canned pumpkin2 tablespoons dry milk1/4 teaspoon sea salt2 1/2 cups brown rice flour *1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional).In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin to smooth. Stir in dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley (if using, optional). Add brown rice flour gradually, combining with spatula or hands to form a stiff, dry dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface (can use the brown rice flour) and if dough is still rough, briefly knead and press to combine.Roll dough between 1/4 – 1/2″ – depending on your dog’s chew preferences, – and use biscuit or other shape cutter to punch shapes, gathering and re-rolling scraps as you go. Place shapes on cookie sheet, no greasing or paper necessary. If desired, press fork pattern on biscuits before baking, a quick up-and-down movement with fork, lightly pressing down halfway through dough. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn biscuits over, then bake additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on rack before feeding to dog.* Brown rice flour gives the biscuits crunch and promotes better dog digestion. Many dogs have touchy stomachs or allergies, and do not, like many people I know, tolerate wheat.Makes up to 75 small (1″) biscuits or 50 medium biscuits42. Removing Skunk Odor – www.botanic-gold.com) Just spray it on and wash it off.
36. http://www.dog-training-excellence.com/stopping-a-dog-from-barking.html44. People sometimes ask us about jumping and going up/down stairs: Consider your dog’s leg is 4 inches high. If a step is 8 inches high that is 2 times higher than your dog’s legs. Compare that to your own legs. How would your knees and back feel hopping up and down 4 foot high steps of a whole staircase several times a day? A bed is about 4 times the height of a dog's leg. For you that would be like jumping off the roof of a one-story house 3-4 times a day. There is a LOT of impact on a dog’s body with each step of the staircase or jumping off of furniture.That's why with IVDD it's best to have "All 4 on the floor".
37. Garlic for Dogs - How Much and How Often?
According to Gregory Tilford, (author of All You Ever Wanted to Know About Herbs for Pets), dogs can quite safely consume 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder per pound of food 3 to 4 times a week.
Dr. Martin Goldstein (author of The Nature of Animal Healing) recommends adding garlic to home-made pet food and he himself feeds garlic to his own cats and dogs on a regular basis.
Dr. Pitcairn (author of The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats) recommends the following amount of fresh garlic for dogs, according to their size:
Dr. Messonnier (author of The Natural Vet's Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs) recommends one clove of fresh garlic per 10 to 30 pounds of weight a day to boost the immune system and cancer prevention.
As with most herbs, at least one to two days off per week or a periodic week off from garlic is a good idea.
38. Another great lineup of educational talks scheduled at Holistic Hound this year! All talks are held on Thursday evenings from 6:30-8:00 and are $15 each unless otherwise noted. To reserve a spot (required) please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510.843.2133.
Integrative Approaches to Treating Cancer in Animals - Dr. Gary Richter, May 23
Reiki for Animals - Kathleen Prasad, Reiki Master, June 20
Basic Holistic Healthcare for Animals - Heidi Hill, July 25
Canine Massage - Deborah Ellen, August 22
Acupressure for Animals - Graham Quigley, L.Ac., September 19
Raw Food for Animals - Everything You Need to Know - Speaker TBD, October For description of talks and updates please visit their website - www.holistichound.com
Part 2 - Helpful Information and LinksFrom The Hound Hotel 1. DOG FOOD ADVISOR. So, what’s the best dog food? This is probably the single most pressing question on every dog food shopper’s mind. However, it’s impossible to pin down the answer to just one clear winner. After reviewing hundreds of dog food brands representing more than 3,300 products, we have been able to narrow down our choices to a few short lists. In most cases, each “Best Dog Foods” list also includes a brief explanation for how we selected the winners. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/2. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/How to calculate how much dog food your dog needs, based on your dog’s weight.84. Activated Charcoal really helps both Humans & canines when they have injected poisons or have had bad runny stools as a result of eating something bad for your tummy..Activated charcoal binds to the poisons and ejects it out of the body. It is not BBQ charcoal. Activated charcoal is inexpensive and can be purchased at health food store, whole foods.. Hospitals give this to people at the ER when they have poison symptoms. 3. From the www.linkedin.com (one of the dog forums) "Life's Abundance" formulated by Dr.Jane Bicks, has received 4 Presidential awards for her great work. This food is like nothing sold in the stores. Never over 6 weeks old, shipped to your door via UPS, Holistic formula, never stored in warehouses where pesticides are used, go to www.adamsallnatural.com to listen to the testimonials and learn what the BEST is in Pet food. 4. Kidney Failure – ProblemsSome veterinarians believe a diet rich in meat, or one that contains poor-quality protein, creates an increased nitrogen load that must be handled by the liver and kidneys. Dogs with weak kidneys can be thrown into uremia by feeding them more protein than they can handle. Other veterinarians believe that as long as the protein is of high biological value, it will help the kidneys retain their function. Diet may need to be customized to the individual dog. Signs of uremia are apathy and depression, loss of appetite and weight, a dry hair coat, a brownish discoloration to the surface of the tongue, and an ammonia-like odor to the breath. Dogs at this stage may urinate less than normal. Ulcers may arise in the mouth. With the nephritic syndrome the dog develops ascites and edema. Vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal bleeding may occur. At the end stages of kidney failure, the dog falls into a coma.This is another reason to please feed your dogs a high quality diet and stay away from any product that is corn, wheat, gluten, yeast or meat-by products. These types of foods are really nothing but “fast junk food” and do not provide the right nutritional values your dog needs. 6. www.Nzymes.com Many health problems with dogs, like humans, result from the Gut (Stomach). Check out the video on this website. I have heard about wonderful results with ALWAYS READ THE LABELS ON THE FOODS YOU BUY--NO MATTER WHAT THE FRONT OF THE BOX OR PACKAGE SAYS, TURN IT OVER AND READ THE BACK CAREFULLY! http://www.nzymes.com/ppc/solving_yeast_infections_in_dogs_or_cats.htm?gclid=CNei8-aQlrgCFad_Qgod3X8AiQ
7. With all the food and pet products now coming from China, it is best to make sure you read label at the supermarket and especially when buying food products. Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is located. The whole world is concerned about China-made "black-hearted goods".
Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or China ? The world is also concerned about GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) foods; steroid fed animals (ex: 45 days old broiler chicken).
It is important to read the bar code to track its origin. How to read Bar Codes....interesting !
If the first 3 digits of the bar code are 690, 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan. If the first 3 digits of the bar code are 00-09 then it's made or sourced in USA.
This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves. Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA", so they don't show from which country it is made. However, you may now refer to the barcode - Remember if the first 3 digits are:
890......MADE IN INDIA
690, 691, 692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA and CANADA
30 - 37 ... FRANCE
40 - 44 ... GERMANY
471 ........ Taiwan
45 or 49 ........JAPAN
50 .......... UK
76.........SWITZERLAND and LIECHTENSTEIN
471........TAIWAN (see sample)
480 ..... Philippines
629.........UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
740..........745 - CENTRAL AMERICA8. RECIPES TREATS – try to stay away from any corn, yeast, wheat and gluten based items. No raw-hide or pork-hide products. Stay away from to many unnatural chemicals. Try not to purchase bin treats (found at Petco in El Cerrito); you don’t know what’s inside the ingredients. Instead, give sliced baked sweet potatoes, apple slices (seeds removed), steamed or raw carrots/ broccoli, cantaloupe, watermelon (seeds removed). In order words, anytime you go to a pet food store and see, on the front of the package, names of human food produce, which means you can give your dog the same thing. Remember the dog’s food diet is the key to canine longevity and health problems. 7. HOW TO READ A PET FOOD LABEL - (By Evanger’s Grain-Free Dog Food)
The pet food industry is regulated by AAFCO (the Association of American Feed Control Officials), the FDA/CVM (Food and Drug Administration/Center for Veterinary Medicine), the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). The ingredients list state all of the items that are contained in the food from the highest quantity listed first to the least listed last. The first ingredient is the most important one because this is what the food has most of. The first ingredient in a quality pet food should be a good quality protein like found in all of the Evanger's varieties; aside from the Vegetarian and 100% Sweet Potato, which are meat-free and vegetable-based. When an Evanger’s meat is listed on the labels, it is a muscle meat like chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, fish, and more; only the best quality proteins. The biological value of a protein determines how well the body can use it. The better the body can use a protein, the higher the biological value it will have. Protein eaten provides the body nitrogen and amino acids, the building blocks for a healthy body. There are 9 essential amino acids that dogs and cats cannot make -themselves and therefore, must be provided for in the diet. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy all have a high biological score. For example, eggs have a biological value of 100; beef has a biological value of 80. As far as our vegetarian diet goes, the combination of peas and whole brown rice provide complementary proteins. In other words, separately, these ingredients may not score high because separately, each is missing an essential amino acid (peas are missing methionine while whole brown rice is missing lysine) but together they complement each other with the end result of a good quality, high biological value protein source.
What Cancer-causing ingredients are allowed in pet foods?
BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin are all preservatives allowed in pet foods, which have also been linked to causing cancer. Evanger's dog and cat foods do not contain any of these preservatives to maintain their freshness because their canned foods are cooked right in the can. As far as their dry foods go, natural preservatives like Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) are added to keep their foods safe and healthy.
What foods are poisonous to dogs?
Garlic is poisonous to both dogs if given in a high enough concentration. Garlic is in the onion family, and both garlic and onions are toxic to dogs, cats, and many other animals. In a high enough concentration, ingested garlic or onions can cause red blood cells to breakdown, leading to anemia. Garlic is only found in some of our dog foods and is not a main ingredient. In other words, there is not a high enough concentration in Evanger's dog foods to worry about any ill effects, however, the benefits of garlic are amazing: they boost the Immune System, Fight Bacterial/Viral/Fungal Infections, Enhance Liver Function, and provide Tick/Flea Repellent!
Avocados eaten by dogs in large amounts can cause gastrointestinal upset like vomiting and/or diarrhea. Again, there is only a small amount in the Vegetarian diet. There are beneficial effects of these ingredients and good health and safety are always Evanger's top priorities, for example garlic in a small amount acts as an antioxidant. If you have a customer that wants to know more about what can be potentially harmful to pets, send him/her to the Animal Poison Control Center website, http://www.aapcc.org, for more information. You would be surprised at what could be poisonous to pets. For example, grapes and raisins can cause kidney problems. Once again, your pet needs to eat a large amount to see toxic side effects. If your dog has eaten 1 or 2 grapes because they fell on the floor and he or she grabbed them, do not worry. If an entire bunch has been eaten then you need to contact your veterinarian immediately. There are no grapes in any of Evanger's foods.
What Evanger's product should be recommended if your pet has diarrhea vs. constipation?
This is useful information for all dog and cat owners because some pets have a tendency to either eliminate too much water and others do not eliminate enough because they suffer from dehydration, a kidney problem or a large bowel problem. The end result is stool that is too soft and watery or too hard and dry, and both conditions could be painful for the pet. If a pet tends to have diarrhea or constipation more often than normal stool, a veterinary check up is the first step to rule out any disease or illness. Given the vet gives the pet a clean bill of health, the diet may need to be changed to a blander, more constipating one for diarrhea or a higher fat content/more fiber and more water diet for a constipation problem. Any of the Evanger's diets that have rice will help with a soft stool problem. The Lamb & Rice Dinner or Chicken & Rice Dinner, for example are a gentle diet for the gut. Feeding dry food may also help firm up the stool. If a pet has a stool that is too firm and dry, adding canned foods and/or adding water to an exclusively canned diet can help. Try changing to a diet with a higher fat content, and to add more fiber, with our 100% Sweet Potato or combining our Vegetarian Dinner with our Grain Free Pheasant; for a combination of more fiber with more fat that can help to soften the stool.
What are the benefits of adding water to your pet's food?
We are all ~ 75% water ~ people, dogs, cats, etc. Human babies are born at 78% water and the amount decreases with age. Therefore, it is important for all of us to take in enough water, whether it is directly from how much we drink or ingested from the food. If a pet is not a big water drinker then dry food should not be offered. A dry diet can further contribute to a state of dehydration and their bodies must steal water from itself to process and digest dry foods. Adding water to canned food can make up for that. Interesting enough, some dogs don't like the taste of tap water in a plastic bowl, but filtered water changed daily and served in a glass or ceramic bowl can taste better. Pets will often only drink out of dripping sink or worse, out of the toilet bowl. Ceramics keep water cold even though there are many bacteria contaminating the water. Keep your toilet lids down or the bathroom door shut and keep fresh water available 24/7. Pets can be stimulated to drink out of a water fountain drinking bowl where the water passes through a filter all day long. If your pet does not drink enough water then you can easily add it to a canned Evanger's diet.
Is a high fat content unhealthy for my dog?
High fat content is not unhealthy for your pet. It is a common misconception that giving animal fat like cutting off the steak fat or chicken skin and feeding it to your dog or cat can lead to a hardening of the arteries (arteriosclerosis) and heart attacks. Unlike people who should not ingest a lot of animal fats, dogs rarely ever get arteriosclerosis or heart attacks related to diet. High cholesterol also does not predispose to arteriosclerosis and/or heart attacks but should alert your veterinarian into checking the thyroid function. A high cholesterol in a dog's blood is seen with hypothyroidism, a under active thyroid gland. Too much animal fat can cause another problem like inflammation of the pancreas called pancreatitis. This is a painful condition that can be life-threatening. Vomiting is one of the signs and we happen to see it more often around Thanksgiving, Christmas and barbecue season when you may have guests over and they feed the family pet too much fat!
Exactly when is it safe to exercise your pet in reference to eating?
Everyone knows how important exercise is for our pets and us but when to exercise can have a beneficial or harmful effect. You must rest your pet for 1 hour before eating and at least 2 hours after eating a meal. Otherwise, there can be some harmful side effects. Before, during and after exercise, water should be offered. After a workout, there should be a cooling off period where the breathing rate has returned to normal, panting has stopped, and the pet is no longer overheated. If a pet has just finished a meal, it is safest not to exercise him or her for at least 2 hours. There needs to be time for proper digestion, and rest is best. If an animal, especially a deep-chested dog, small or large, is exercised right before or right after eating, a life-threatening condition called a gastro-distension volvulus or GDV could happen. This is often referred to as bloat and is responsible for the death of many pets. This is the worst case scenario, sometimes, if eating is too close to exercising, a gastrointestinal upset could happen- poor digestion, vomiting, even gas could result. No one wants to see his or her pet in any discomfort so it is best to rest a pet before and after a meal. 9.Crock Pot Meal for Dogs; http://mypersonalchef.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/dr-ruths-basic-crock-pot-diet-for-pets/ 10. Healthy Dog Treat Recipes: http://www.dailydogwalkers.com/dog-treat-recipes/ 11. Cheap Alternative to purchasing expensive dog treats? CHEERIOS! ….. Its only ingredient is oats. Don’t give more than 50 per day. 12. Dog Scooting Around on the floor? Here’s a Pumpkin Treat recipe to help empty full anal glands. This could even be given once per week to help with their anal gland maintenance. 1 can solid packed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) 2 cups oatmeal 1/4 cup molasses 1 egg 1 tsp. cinnamon Mix all ingredients together and drop by spoonful on cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool before serving. Best if left to sit overnight as the treats will get stiffer. Keep remaining treats in refrigerator 13.Stop giving your dogs crap from China that is killing our dogs!! Here is a Pumpkin Recipe that is healthy for them :) Cleo’s Pumpkin Dog Biscuits.. Preheat oven to 350
2 eggs1/2 c...up canned pumpkin2 tablespoons dry milk1/4 teaspoon sea salt2 1/2 cups brown rice flour *1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional) In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin to smooth. Stir in dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley (if using, optional). Add brown rice flour gradually, combining with spatula or hands to form a stiff, dry dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface (can use the brown rice flour) and if dough is still rough, briefly knead and press to combine. Roll dough between 1/4 – 1/2″ – depending on your dog’s chew preferences, – and use biscuit or other shape cutter to punch shapes, gathering and re-rolling scraps as you go. Place shapes on cookie sheet, no greasing or paper necessary. If desired, press fork pattern on biscuits before baking, a quick up-and-down movement with fork, lightly pressing down halfway through dough. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn biscuits over, then bake additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on rack before feeding to dog. * Brown rice flour gives the biscuits crunch and promotes better dog digestion. Many dogs have touchy stomachs or allergies, and do not, like many people I know, tolerate wheat.Makes up to 75 small (1″) biscuits or 50 medium biscuits 14. HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA DOG TREATS - This is a gluten free since it does not use wheat flour!
INGREDIENTS1 banana, peeled
1 cup oat flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dried parsley
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 300°F. Put banana in a large bowl and use a spoon or potato masher to mash it thoroughly. Add oat flour, oats, parsley, peanut butter and egg and stir well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
Roll mixture into 24 balls, using about 1 tablespoon dough for each; transfer to a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet as done. Use the back of a spoon or the heel of your hand to press each ball into a (1 1/2- to 2-inch) coin. Bake until firm and deep golden brown on the bottom, 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to let cool completely.
Storage note: It's best to store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Or, freeze them to give to your dog later; just be sure to thaw the treats before handing them out.
PER SERVING: Serving size: 1 each, 45 calories (15 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 2g protein 15.
Dog Breath Tamers Recipe
Enter supporting content here